When the news first broke about the Sandy
Hook school shootings, I really tried to avoid listening to the media coverage—it
often seems we focus on perpetrators over victims. But when they released the
names two days later I thought, “I can give attention to this; I can bear
witness to this.” I opened the article and saw that it was not a celebration of
the lives of 20 children. It was a database listing name, birthdate, gender,
and age. In that moment, I knew I had to process the information with art.I created twenty paintings using colors derived from the Myosotis arvensis (Forget-Me-Not) and a geometric numbering system. Each piece is painted with Flashe on a 10" x 10" wood panel and conveys data initially released about the children to the news outlets. Each painting is dedicated to a specific child. The color on each indicates whether the child is a boy or girl. The number of colored segments reflects the child's age. The overall number of segments are placed in eight triangular sections from left to right, top to bottom, and show the child's birthdate. The series title is a line taken from the old Marmalade song, Reflections of My Life.
As I was making the paintings, I felt
like I was spending time with each child, getting to know them. Catherine
Hubbard and I share the same birthday; Chase Kowalski was born on Halloween. (I
wonder if he thought that was awesome or kind of a bummer.) Jack Pinto had the
coolest name. What surprised me is that every person I talked to wanted that same
kind of time. They wanted to understand my system so they could decipher the
paintings and learn something about each child—it was awesome! Bittersweet, but
awesome.

No comments:
Post a Comment